The world is in a mess…
We want to help in a small way by giving activists and some categories of journalists a free Pro subscription to short form video subtitling on iPhone and iPad
No catches, no limits, no promotion or watermarks. We just want to help.
We made Captionista to make the best video subtitling and captioning app we could for iPhone & iPad, but that’s only part of it. We made it because we wanted to help activists and journalists worldwide get their message out to people effectively and easily.
We believe businesses have a responsibility to make the world better, and as software developers it’s not often we get the chance to move the needle on social and global issues.
Short form video is the way to reach people now — and they often have audio switched off on their feeds so your efforts to make a compelling video can be wasted. Subtitles are of course great for accessibility.
Subtitles shouldn’t be painful to add, and they’re always worth the relatively small effort. Just add them — whether or not you use Captionista. We think you’ll find it much easier if you do.
While Captionista is a free subtitling app for everyone to use it does include a watermark on exports and some feature limitations unless you have a Pro subscription, so read on…
How to get a free Pro subscription
You need to be an activist or journalist posting videos in support of good causes. What are good causes that qualify? We decide this, but they include, but are not limited to:
- Defence of human and reproductive rights
- Campaigning for and reporting on action on the climate crisis
- Reporting (without pro-Russian bias) on the war Russia has inflicted on Ukraine
- Campaigning or reporting in support of strikes by public sector and public transport workers
- Campaigning for financial equality and tax justice
- Campaigning for racial and gender equality
- Campaigning for accessibility and rights for the disabled
If your cause is not listed here, talk to us. If you’re doing good we can probably help!
Note: Captionista is an app for iPhone and iPad. It does not support Android and never will, I’m afraid.
All you need to do is:
- Install the free version of Captionista from the App Store
- E-mail me, Marc Palmer with details of your campaigning or journalism, with a couple of links showing your connection to the organisations you represent and posts you’ve made or plan to make
- Enter the promo code that I send you into the App Store to redeem it. The promo code enables a subscription in the app for free. I’ll keep renewing it too if you need it.
Not sure how to get started? You can join us on our #activism channel in Discord for help getting started.